Wellington Village Shopping Centre is built on the farm land of John Joseph Gearon (Jack) and Ada Gearon (nee Emerson). Jack and Ada farmed the property in the 1920’s and through the great depression. They raised a family of 9 children and Jack once commented to his son Ted, “One day Teddy you’ll see houses all over this land.” Ted remained on the land and built a large poultry farm that he ran for over 30 years with his wife Elaine before turning the property into a base for his excavation business in the 1960’s. He lived on the property until his late 80’s and got to see the houses his father predicted.
The land was retained by Ted and Elaine’s children and developed by them into Wellington Village Shopping Centre in 2004. Having a strong connection with the land and Rowville, the family was keen to build an attractive well-designed Shopping Centre with a strong community feel and a good variety of stores.
It was a long search for an architect to design the centre. George Yontis of Coy+Yontis Architects was finally chosen due to his iconic terracotta louver design that now runs along the facade of the main building. George was again commissoned in 2008 to design the second stage of Wellington Village to ensure it complimented the look of the original building, the completed project in 2010 achieved this aim. Stage III “The Corner” was completed in July 2014 and again it had George at the helm of the design process creating another striking building. See here to read an article that appeared in The Age Business section.
COMMUNITY and CHARITY
Wellington Village holds various community events throughout the year including a school art show, sporting recruitment days, Fire Safety Awareness and fundraising events.
If your organisation would like to hold an event at the centre please email: email@example.com
As part of the Wellington Village “Give Back” donation program we proudly support the following local and national non profit organisations and charities:
- The Rotary Club of Rowville-Lysterfield – www.rowvillerotary.com.au
- Rowville Community Kitchen, – www.rowvillecommunitykitchen.com.au
- Rowville Football Club – https://rowvillefootballclub.teamapp.com
- Heany Park Scouts – www.heanyparkscouts.com
- South Eastern CASA. Centre Against Sexual Assault & Family Violence – http://www.secasa.com.au/
- 3MDR 97.1 Mountain District Radio – www.3mdr.com
- FUNFEST Emerald – Part of the PAVE Festival Performing and Visual Arts in Emerald (Every April) – www.funfest.org.au
- The Dandenong Ranges Emergency Relief Service DRERS – http://www.drers.org.au/
- Friends of the Helmeted Honeyeater Inc – http://www.helmetedhoneyeater.org.au/
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL
- One Girl, Educating Girls in Africa – http://www.onegirl.org.au
- ASRC – https://www.asrc.org.au/
- UNHCR – http://www.unhcr.org/en-au/ (donation to assist construction of a new vocational training centre in Uganda)
- ST Kilda Mums, recycling and reusing baby and childrens items for those in need – http://www.stkildamums.org/
- Medical Clinic and Dental Clinic
- Gymnasium (The Corner)
- Physiotherapist & Pilates Studio (The Corner)
- True Hearing Audiology
- Vetinary Clinic
- Bendigo Bank
- Commonwealth and Bendigo Bank ATM’s
- Australia Post outlet at Rowville News and Tatts
- Australia Post Box
- Childcare Centre
- Mobile Library Service Wed 9-11am (see below)
- Wide car parks
- Bike Racks
Eastern Regional Libraries has a Mobile Library Service parked along the centre collonade at Wellington Village every Wednesday from 9am to 11am. The library has almost 2000 books available for all ages ranging from toddlers to the mature reader.
Wellington Village is on the doorstep to Lysterfield with many people stopping by on their way to Belgrave Heights, Narre Warren East, Menzies Creek, Clematis, Emerald and beyond.
Emerson Park (named after Ada Gearon nee Emerson, see above) is a large recreational area across the road from Wellington Village with play equipment for the children and a bike path that leads to Liberty Avenue Reserve, Heany Park Primary school and on to Stud Road and the Seebeck Estate near Tirhatuan Golf Course.
Rowville is the home to many Golf Clubs. The closest to Wellington Village and the oldest in Rowville is Waverley Golf Club on Bergins Road which is also the home of the Waverley Bowls Club. The club also hosts private functions and weddings in their impressive function centre.
The Heany Park Scout Group and Camp is located at the foot of Churchill Park on Makeham Road Rowville off Golding Avenue, a 2min drive from Wellington Village. The group has their own 35 acre park with kangaroos, wombats and other wild animals. The park also has a lovely lake with views.